About Yani

My photo
Looe, Cornwall
obsessed with movies, books and socks. sucker for old songs and good-looking men. coffee addict. loves her white freelander. loves her looe home. loves sabah. loves her family and friends, A LOT! carnivore. sometimes thinks that she is a genius (not!) has excellent taste when it comes to shoes. believes that education should be free for all. not-so-hardcore environmentalist, but recycles as much as she can and avoid using plastic bags at the supermarket

Monday 17 January 2011

Accents?

I've been reading some threads online about Malaysian/Singaporean accent (Manglish and Singlish). And I find them absolutely hilarious as there are many people trying to defend the accent, as well as disturbed by it. As far as I am concerned, as long as people can understand you, it is not important what you sound like.

However, for someone who loves language and linguistics, I believe that it is important that we learn and master a language up to a native speaker level. Or at least get the pronunciation correct and sound just a little more convincing. I phoned Sutera Harbour and Karambunai Resort and spoke to the HR department to see if there is any jobs available for me to apply for; and I spoke the way I would when I talk to people here. And, they asked me which country I was from. When I told them that I am from KK, they said, "Oh?" It wasn't like I was trying to show off or anything, it was just the way I talk especially when being formal (I was looking for a job after all, therefore, cannot speak cincai2 lorrr!).

A few years ago, my dad and I were watching the news and this man who was the head of our Malaysian contingent to the SEA Games was being interviewed. He said, "I think we will do well in the SIGEM." (or at least it sounded like that to me and my dad). Another example would be the phone call from Al-Jazeera to the former Information Minister, Zainuddin Maidin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFY1-z2Lk0. These are embarrassing examples of the incompetence of 'important people' who represented our country at international level.

If they don't care enough about improving their language skills, perhaps they should just stay under the tempurung kelapa and croak (not bloody speaking to a journalist on international TV!).

2 comments:

  1. SIGEM, jar.

    Speak English the correct way? Yes.
    Speak English with accents? Not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEA Games = SIGEM = the best!!! lol

    ReplyDelete